Moving to a new home can be an exciting adventure, but also a major source of stress. Picking the right moving company is crucial to ensure your belongings arrive safely and on time. Here’s what to look for when choosing a mover for a smooth move.
Compare Full-Service vs Self-Service Movers
One of the first decisions to make is whether you want a full-service moving company that packs and transports your belongings, or a self-service mover that supplies a truck and equipment but requires you to do most of the work.
Benefits of Full-Service Movers
Full-service movers completely handle the hard labor of packing, loading, transporting, and unloading your possessions. This saves you time and effort. They also provide insurance to cover any damages. On the downside, full-service movers cost more.
Advantages of Self-Service Movers
Renting a truck yourself and packing it up saves money compared to full-service. You can also load the truck to meet your schedule. However, moving is physically demanding and you’ll have to buy insurance separately if needed.
Ask Detailed Questions When Getting Estimates
Whether using full-service or self-service movers, be sure to get binding estimates in writing from multiple companies. Ask detailed questions about their processes, equipment, personnel, and costs.
- Packing methods and materials used
- Types of trucks and dollies for transportation
- Background checks performed on movers
- Insurance options – valuation coverage and deductibles
- Fees for supplies, fuel, or additional services
- Cost adjustments if the estimate is off
Avoid movers who give vague verbal estimates or seem reluctant to answer questions. Make sure you understand what is and isn’t included before committing.
Look for Signs of a Reputable Mover
Unfortunately, some disreputable companies try to scam customers with deceptive tactics. Be on the lookout for these signs of reliable movers:
- Established local business with several years in operation
- Physical office and storage facilities you can visit
- Satisfied customer reviews and testimonials
- Professional website and representatives
- DOT number and other licensing clearly displayed
- Staff wear uniforms and drive marked company trucks
Watch Out for Red Flags
Steer clear of movers that raise suspicions with any of these warning signs:
- Vague names like “Tri-State Moving Company”
- Claims of low-ball rates that sound too good to be true
- High-pressure sales tactics
- Requests cash or large deposits before commencing work
- Lack of U.S. DOT number and other credentials
- Unmarked vehicles and workers without uniforms
Avoiding shady movers from the start prevents headaches later. Do your homework to find an established company that treats customers fairly.
Choose a Mover that Best Fits Your Needs
Ultimately, select a mover that aligns with your specific moving situation. Full-service makes sense for complex moves where you want end-to-end handling. More hands-on folks can save with self-service.
Focus your search on reputable local and long distance movers that are upfront about pricing, responsive to your questions, and deliver great service. With the right mover, you can look forward to a smooth transition into your new home.
Recommended Mover: Universal Relocations
For quality interstate, intrastate or international moves, consider using Universal Relocations. They are a highly rated full-service mover known for transparent pricing, experienced staff, and exceptional customer care.