DIY Pet Shipping Guide, Are you planning to travel with your beloved pet? Whether you’re relocating or going on a vacation, transporting your furry friend can be a challenging task. But worry not, because we’ve got you covered! In this DIY Pet Shipping Guide, we will provide you with essential information and tips to ensure a smooth and comfortable journey for your pet.
So, let’s dive in and make pet shipping an easy and stress-free experience!
Two Ways to Import/Export Your Pet to or from India
When it comes to transporting your pet, there are two main options available: accompanied baggage and manifest cargo. Let’s take a closer look at each method:
If you’re traveling on the same flight as your pet, and your furry companion has been booked as excess/checked/accompanied baggage, this method is suitable for you. It allows you to stay with your pet throughout the journey, providing a sense of security and comfort.
In the case of manifest cargo, your pet is booked separately through airline cargo. This method does not require your pet to travel on the same flight as you. Keep in mind that regardless of whether your pet is booked as accompanied baggage or manifest cargo, only two pets (cats or dogs) are allowed to travel under one owner’s name into India.
Preparing Your Pet for Travel
Before embarking on a journey with your furry companion, it’s crucial to ensure their comfort and safety. Here are some essential steps to follow:
- Crate Training: Make sure your pet is comfortable being in a crate for an extended period. If they aren’t crate trained, it’s recommended to familiarize them with the kennel by placing treats inside and leaving them in the crate for short periods. This helps ease separation anxiety and keeps your pet calm during the journey.
- Required Documentation: Ensure all necessary paperwork is in order. Check that your pet’s vaccinations are up to date and gather any required health certificates or permits. Make sure to meet all international requirements, including import permits, to avoid any complications during travel.
- Microchip: It’s essential for your pet to have a microchip with up-to-date information. This provides an extra layer of identification and increases the chances of a reunion if your pet gets lost during the journey.
Universal Relocations Pet Shipping Services
At Universal Relocations, we have been providing pet transport services worldwide since 2000, with a team of industry-leading professionals who have over 100 years of combined expertise in dog and pet shipping. When you choose our services, you can expect the following:
- Flight Arrangements: We prearrange all necessary flights, ensuring a direct connection whenever possible.
- Pick-up and Delivery: We offer door-to-door service, picking up your pet from your house and delivering them safely to the airport. At the destination airport, we will meet your pet and deliver them directly to your home.
- Travel Kennels: We provide assembled travel kennels to ensure the comfort and safety of your pet throughout the journey.
- Documentation Assistance: Our team will guide you through the entire documentation process, ensuring all requirements are met, including import permits and any other necessary paperwork.
- Additional Services: We can also assist with services such as microchipping, obtaining NOCs (No Objection Certificates), DGFT permits, and arranging for kenneling if required.
Required Documents for Importing Pets into India
If you are a foreign national planning to enter India with your pets, the following documents are typically required:
- Airline ticket (yours)
- Sanitary/health certificate for your pet
- Proof of transfer of residence in India
- Copy of lease agreement or stay-in-India documentation
- Authorization letter on your business letterhead, stating that you are requesting the NOC for importing your pets into India
- If you are a student, provide university/school admission papers duly signed by the authorities
- Vaccination records for your pet
- Letter of job offer in India
- Owner’s passport copy
- Letter from your company in India, stating that you will be in the country for at least one year or more for work
- Indian business visa
- FRRO (Foreigners Regional Registration Office) papers
- Microchip and rabies blood test (not mandatory, but it is recommended)
For Indian nationals or OICD card holders, the documents required are mostly the same, with a few additional ones. Ensure that you have all the necessary documents in order to avoid any complications during the import process.
Documents Required for Exporting Pets from India
If you are exporting your pet from India, the following documents are typically required:
- Owner’s flight ticket copy
- Microchip number of the pet
- Anti-Rabies Blood Titer Test
- Vaccination records for your pet
- Visa of the destination country
- Passport copy
- Crate photo and size
- Pet photo
Measuring Your Pet Crate
When it comes to selecting a suitable crate for pet relocation to India, it’s important to measure them correctly. Here’s how to measure your pet and the corresponding crate dimensions:
- Measurement A: Tip of the nose to the base of the tail (excluding the tail itself).
- Measurement B: From the elbow joint in the forearm to the ground.
- Measurement C: Across your pet’s shoulders.
- Measurement D: From the top of your pet’s head to the ground, including the erect ears if applicable.
- Small #100: 21″ x 16″ x 15″
- Med #200: 27″ x 20″ x 19″
- Intermediate #300: 32″ x 22″ x 23″
- Large #400: 36″ x 24″ x 26″
- X-large #500: 40″ x 27″ x 30″
- Giant #700: 48″ x 32″ x 35″ (always 35 inches tall)
Please note that there may be slight variations in crate sizes among different brands and stores. As long as the crate is a bolt-together plastic type with a metal gate and is within two inches of the dimensions mentioned above, it should be suitable for pet transport.
Applying for Pet NOC in India
If you’re bringing your pet to India, a No Objection Certificate (NOC) is required in addition to a valid health certificate. The exporter (pet owner) is responsible for obtaining the NOC from the Animal Quarantine and Certification Station (AQCS) in India before landing.
To obtain the NOC, you’ll need to provide the following documents:
- Vaccination records for your pet
- Government-issued veterinary certificate from the exporting country
- Flight details or confirmation of your travel to India
- Copy of the airway bill
The NOC application process can be done by mail, fax, or in person and usually takes around five working days to process. Make sure to affix a duplicate copy of the NOC on your pet’s crate during air travel, and present the original copy to customs upon arrival in India.
Transporting your pet can be a challenging process, but with proper preparation and the assistance of professionals like Universal Relocations, it can be made much smoother. Whether you choose accompanied baggage or manifest cargo, ensuring the comfort and well-being of your pet throughout the journey is of utmost importance.
By following the guidelines and gathering the necessary documents, you can successfully navigate the pet shipping process. Remember to consult the relevant authorities, such as the Animal Quarantine and Certification Station in India, for accurate and up-to-date information regarding pet import and export regulations.
At Universal Relocations, our experienced team is dedicated to providing top-notch pet shipping services, ensuring the safe and secure transport of your furry friends. With our assistance, you can embark on your pet’s journey with confidence, knowing that they will be well taken care of every step of the way.