Climate-controlled storage has become an increasingly popular option for homeowners and businesses looking to protect their belongings, especially when shipping internationally. Maintaining a consistent temperature and humidity level helps prevent damage from fluctuations that can occur in transit and in normal storage facilities. There are several key factors to consider when deciding if climate-controlled storage is right for your international shipping needs.
Why Choose Climate-Controlled Storage for International Shipping?
When shipping items internationally, they can be subjected to temperature and humidity extremes in transit and in overseas warehouses. Traditional storage often lacks climate control, exposing your possessions to conditions that may cause damage. Climate-controlled units maintain a stable environment that helps safeguard your belongings.
Here are some of the main benefits when shipping overseas:
- Prevents temperature-related damage – Fluctuating hot and cold temperatures can warp wood, cause plastics to become brittle, damage electronics, and more during shipping or storage. Consistent temperature control helps avoid this.
- Reduces humidity issues – High humidity can lead to rust, mold growth, and mildew. Low humidity causes materials like wood and fabric to crack or dry out. Controlling humidity reduces these risks.
- Protects sensitive items – Climate control is ideal for international shipping of electronics, musical instruments, artwork, antiques, and other items vulnerable to environmental changes.
- Peace of mind – Knowing your valuables are protected from extreme temps and moisture provides added reassurance that your possessions will arrive safely.
For international shipments containing items susceptible to heat, cold, or moisture, the extra cost of climate-controlled storage can be well worth it.
What Temperature Is Maintained?
Most climate-controlled units aim to keep temperatures between 55 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit – ideal for protecting your belongings during overseas shipping and storage.
Some facilities may have more precise temperature requirements, such as maintaining a constant 70 degrees. The actual temperature maintained depends on factors like the storage provider’s systems, location, and time of year.
Be aware that temperatures may fluctuate slightly when accessing units. But climate-control systems typically restore the desired temp quickly. Consistent temperature management is key when shipping goods internationally.
Understanding Humidity Control
In addition to temperature regulation, climate-controlled storage also keeps relative humidity at moderate levels between 35-45% RH. This helps protect shipped goods from humidity-related damage.
Too much moisture can lead to rust, mold growth, wood warping, and other humidity-related damage. On the other hand, excessively dry air can cause materials to become brittle and crack.
Facilities use dehumidifiers and humidifiers to maintain proper humidity levels 24/7. Be sure to verify the storage provider’s humidity range when arranging international shipments.
Added Security Features
Reputable climate-controlled facilities offer extra security like:
- Security cameras
- Individual door alarms
- Keypad/code entry access
- Professional attendants
These measures help restrict access and monitor the units holding your shipped possessions. The electronic access systems also control who can enter and exit – unlike overseas warehouses which may lack adequate security.
The extra security precautions provide significant peace of mind for international shipments. Be sure to inquire about all security measures when selecting a storage provider.
Costs of Climate-Controlled Storage
Maintaining strict climate control requires specialized technology and energy use. This results in higher monthly rental rates compared to regular storage units.
You can expect to pay 25-50% more for climate-controlled storage. Larger units and extra security will be at the higher end. But when shipping internationally, this added cost helps protect your valuable shipments.
Some providers offer discounted rates for long-term storage, which is useful if items will be warehoused overseas before final delivery. Even with the higher price, climate control may be worth it to safeguard possessions during international transit and storage.
Verifying Provider Credibility
When selecting a climate-controlled storage provider for your overseas shipments, it’s important to verify their ability to maintain advertised temperature and humidity levels.
Here are some ways to evaluate credibility:
- Ask about their climate systems – What heating, cooling, dehumidifiers, and sensors do they use? Newer facilities likely have better climate maintenance.
- Check for industry certification – Look for CerTIFIED® or other certifications indicating proper climate control practices.
- Read online reviews – Check for positive feedback on temperature/humidity consistency. Complaints could signify issues.
- Schedule an inspection – Does the interior feel noticeably climate-controlled during a tour? Consider bringing a thermometer.
Taking these steps helps ensure your shipment gets the true climate-controlled environment you need.
Work With a Reputable International Shipper
Arranging international shipping yourself can be complex, especially when climate-controlled storage is required. An experienced overseas shipping company can be invaluable.
Universal Relocations is a renowned international shipper that offers climate-controlled storage and transport for household goods and commercial cargo. Their network of climate-controlled warehouses worldwide provides reliable protection for your shipment every step of the way.
Benefits of using a professional international shipper like Universal Relocations include:
- Successfully shipping everything from small parcels to large freight.
- Coordinating trusted climate-controlled storage at overseas hubs.
- Tracking and monitoring your shipment’s status and climate conditions.
- Handling customs, paperwork, insurance, and hassles on your behalf.
For your next international relocation or product shipment, let the experts at Universal Relocations handle climate-controlled transport and storage. Contact them today for a free quote!
- Climate control protects shipped goods from environmental damage during overseas transit and storage.
- It costs more but provides essential protection and reassurance.
- Carefully vet storage providers for rigorous climate systems and security.
- Utilize a professional international shipper to coordinate end-to-end climate-controlled transport and storage worldwide.
Climate-controlled storage brings invaluable peace of mind when shipping items internationally. For a seamless overseas relocation or commercial shipment with your goods protected from port to door, partner with a premier climate-controlled shipping specialist. They’ll safeguard your possessions so you don’t have to worry.